Shop by Category
- View Online Catalog - Now with live links!
- Shipping & Return Policies
- Classical Educators Homeschool Curriculum Books
- National Number Knockout
- SCRIBBLERS Homeschool Curriculum Resources (K4 to 3rd Grade)
- FOUNDATIONS Homeschool Curriculum Resources (K4 to 6th Grade)
- ESSENTIALS Homeschool Curriculum Resources (4th-6th grades)
- CHALLENGE Homeschool Curriculum Resources (7th to 12th Grade)
- High School Curriculum Resources, College Prep and More
- Homeschool Curriculum by Subject & Misc.
- CC FAQ
- Free e-Book with our monthly Newsletter!
- Classical Conversations
- CC Merchandise
- CC Testing Services and Transcripts
- Parent Practicum Conferences (1 & 3 Day) & Curriculum Resources
- Contact Us
- Director and Tutor Only Purchases
In this approachable book on classical education, Leigh Bortins describes the rigorous academics that form the core of a solid education. The first few chapters are an overview of classical education in comparison to modern education. The rest of The Core provides both inspiration and specific goals that encourage parents to lead their children through a solid academic program. By building a strong foundation in grammar school, students will advance more competently and confidently through higher education.In the past, correct spelling, the multiplication tables, the names of the state capitals and the American presidents were basics that all children were taught in school. Today, many children graduate without this essential knowledge. Most curricula today follow a haphazard sampling of topics with a focus on political correctness instead of teaching students how to study. Leigh Bortins, a leading figure in the homeschooling community, is having none of it. She believes that there are core areas of knowledge that are essential to master. Without knowing the multiplication tables, children can’t advance to algebra. Without mastery of grammar, students will have difficulty expressing themselves. Without these essential building blocks of knowledge, students may remember information but they will never possess a broad and deep understanding of how the world works. In this book, Bortins gives parents the tools and methodology to implement a rigorous, thorough, and broad curriculum based on the classical model, including:• Rote memorization to cement knowledge• Systematic learning of geography, historical facts, and timelines• Reading the great books and seminal historical documentsinstead of adaptations and abridged editions• Rigorous training in math and the natural sciences